I have some Kohlrabi in the fridge and want to make a new cultured veggie batch. I found this recipe on
http://www.affairsofliving.com . These turned out so so good, Keely and I ate them with our breakfast this morning.
yield 1 qt
2 large kohlrabi bulbs
2 T salt
many sprigs of fresh dill
1 tsp dill seed
1 tsp caraway seed
1-1 1/2 c water
- Wash and peel kohlrabi well, then slice into long sticks about 1/4″ x 1/4″. Sneak a few of them raw and enjoy how delicious and crunchy kohlrabi is!
- Put sticks in jar, layering with dill, dill seed, and dill weed. As you are putting them in jar, press down lightly with a wooden spoon, and continue filling until there is about 1″ between kohlrabi and top of jar.
- Mix together salt and water, and pour over kohlrabi until covered, leaving 1″ at the top. Cover tightly.
- Let sit out at room temperature (around 65* -70* F) for about 3 days. Temperatures hotter than this will make things ferment more quickly, cooler temps will make for slower fermentation. So, follow your intuition. Transfer to cold storage after fermenting.
- Can be eaten immediately, or kept for up to 8 months in the refrigerator. Gets better with age!