Chia Seeds are Incredibly Nutritious:
1 ounce/28 grams of chia seeds contain:
- Fiber: 11 grams
- Protein: 4 grams
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s)
- Calcium: 18% of the RDA
- Manganese: 30% of the RDA
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA
They also contain a decent amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.
List of Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system.
- Feel fuller faster: This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
- Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the chia gel they create can hydrate the body.
- Reduce your blood pressure: There’s evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.
- Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
- Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
- They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don’t need to be ground up.
Ways you can get Chia Seeds into your diet:
- Soak in Almond Milk or Coconut Milk with added honey and vanilla or raw cacao powder for a pudding.
- Soak in water with added lemon juice squeezed in some raw honey.
- They can be soaked in Kombucha or fruit juice for a fun beverage.
- Add them to your green smoothies and soups.
- Add to salsa, this is delicious.
For a great article on Chia Seeds and there amazing benefits go to this link http://www.theironyou.com